Thursday, August 16, 2012

Update: Platinum

A couple of days ago I hit platinum for the first time in my LoL career. In many ways this isn't particularly special, thousands of people have done this before me, but it marks an important milestone on my path to improvement.

What makes this moment notable isn't Riot's arbitrary determination, but my own investment in my goals. Reaching platinum is akin to arriving at a landmark on a mountain hike. More than anything else it serves as both a reminder of how far I have come and how far I have yet to go.

Even as I continue forward I'm keenly aware of how many hurdles are before me. I've still played less than 150 total ranked games, meaning my practical experience at this level is limited. I am extremely specialized in jungling, and while I'm somewhat comfortable in most other roles it's painfully clear that I lack the intuition and knowledge necessary to excel, particularly at top lane. Even though I am a proud jungler I lack confidence in direct counter-jungling. There are many competitive jungle champions that I have not mastered. Though I have climbed high on the ladder, the chasms of knowledge left unfilled are daunting.

My next goal is to reach 2000 Elo, one which should be considerably more difficult. It's entirely possible that when I next play I will have a losing streak comparable to my present winning streak, dropping me from platinum back down to 1800 Elo. My ultimate goal is to reach the top 25, which requires nearly 2600 Elo right now and potentially more by the time I'm anywhere near that goal. Having reasonable milestones in between grand delusions is important.

Thanks to everyone who has read my blog and watched my stream so far. When I eventually become super popular and famous and have 10000 readers/viewers you can talk about how you knew about Montegomery before he was cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment